29 SEPTEMBER - 1 OCTOBER 2017
As previously, the 26th Hermanus Whale Festival, being the oldest and largest festival on the cape whale coast in South Africa, is a celebration of the whales and all marine life - above and below the ocean! Packed with community and cultural activities, we dish up great food, quality crafters, great sport events, kiddies entertainment, a music stage with artists consciously performing during the festival, a Vintage Car Show, an interactive marine themed eco village, adventure activities down in the Old Harbour and of course whale watching- Land, Boat and Air based whale watching!
The Eco Marine Tent purposely partners with a number of our local, internationally awarded, eco- tourism operators to share their information whilst uniquely interact with the visitors, a real and rare commodity most valuable for driving sustainable practices most important to marine tourism on the Cape Whale Coast.
A festival with a focus on the Southern Right Whales
The Hermanus Whale Festival is acutely aware that if we don’t look after our destination, both from an environmental and conservation perspective, in a short space of time, there will not be much to promote with pride and purpose. Our main focus remains to create awareness and celebrate the annual return of the Southern Right Whales to our coast.
Increasingly, travellers are becoming more mindful of the impact of their travels. A development that has been welcomed by operators specialising in eco-tourism.
Eco-Marine themed exhibitions
We have embarked upon a major campaign to change the way ocean wildlife is perceived on the Cape Whale Coast. Our interactive exhibitions are therefore aimed at the youth, our future conservationists. We believe that by reaching children at an early age, we leave them with a love, passion and respect for marine wildlife and the knowledge to preserve our blue planet.
The Hermanus Whale Festival highlights local efforts to protect the whales from extinction, through ocean-themed activities and exhibits that emphasize education and environmentally responsible adventures and products.
Join the thousands of people who will again celebrate the fun in the sun in this beautiful seaside village!
What you can expect at the Hermanus Whale Festival
The festival combines whale watching from shore and sea with live shows, hands-on family fun, street parades, film, music, seafood and local produce
- An inter-active Eco - Marine Village Tent as our main focus are on conservation
- Eco-Marine talks about whales, penguins, white sharks ( shark week)
- Treasure hunt in the Eco - Marine Tent for the kiddies on Saturday and Sunday (12-2)
- Good Hope FM broadcasting live for 3 days at the Whale Festival
- Great food at the festival as well as restaurants in Hermanus
- Quality crafters on Market Square
- Kiddies Entertainment on Market Square
- The popular Street Parade on Saturday Morning
- Whales and Wheels Classic Car Show
- Coke Music Marquee on Gearing's Point
- Watershed "Live" on the 29th of September 2017 - Coke Music marquee on Gearings Point.
- Oldies But Goldies Tribute Show - 20 September 2017 - Coke Music marquee on Gearings Point
The full programme of events available here
What do we know about this Southern Right Whale? Learn more